Thursday, May 19, 2011

Back to the Future with Customer Service

Remember in the movie Back to the Future Part II when Marty McFly goes into Cafe 80s? The first thing you see is a woman sitting at the bar placing her order with Michael Jackson. Well, not the real Michael, but a screen that allows the customer to interact with the late musician. When Marty goes to order his Pepsi, he doesn't talk with a waiter or waitress. Instead, he orders with Ronald Reagan and Khomeini-- or better said; their avatars.

I'm taking you down memory lane because of a recent article I read. The article got me thinking: Is the idea of using avatars in customer service bad for business? My initial thought was that customer service should be hands-on-- a person-to-person interaction with a friendly smile or a hand shake. Customer service should involve a representative that can’t break down. But then I started thinking of how many times I've gone into a retail store, airport, or hospital only to find that there was no one around to help, employees were too busy, or I received bad information. I guess humans can break down, too.

Imagine walking into Wal-Mart and rather than seeing a friendly, elderly man as the greeter, you are welcomed by a holographic image of Sam Walton himself. Actually, that doesn't sound too far-fetched. We already have interactive digital signs, 3-D animation, and holographic images-- why not combine all of these technologies to enhance our customer service? In my opinion, it would be cool to ask the founder of Wal-Mart which aisle the orange juice is in.

Now, I'm not saying I want holographic avatars to take all of the Wal-Mart greeter jobs. But it would be functional and captivating to see this technology. Instead of kiosk directory outlining how to get from point A to B, the avatar could simply tell you (or print it for you). I can see this concept being used for way-finding in the near future, but believe its capabilities are limitless.



No comments:

Hyper Smash