Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The High Cost of Wayfinding


























The Mall, According to Wikipedia, is one or more buildings forming a complex of shops representing merchandisers, with enabling visitors to easily walk from unit to unit, along with a parking area — a modern, indoor version of the traditional marketplace.

I kind of chuckled at the word "easily". Honestly, it's not so easy to navigate from point A to point B anymore. There's kiosk shops, carts, photo booths, rides, and other hurdles all over today's mall. But, if I look at the back-lit mall map, I don't see any of these obstacles. Just a clear, easy path to my destination. And sometimes the map is so outdated that when I get to where the Radio Shack supposed to be on the map, I see the new cookie shop that replaced it. Turns out the Radio Shack moved to the other end of the mall for more space. So, why not update the map?

It seems like at least once a month our local mall has a one store closing and another one opening. That would call for a lot of map updating, which could potentially be expensive. Think about it - There is usually several directory maps in the mall and continually printing new graphics is costly. Add in the labor expense to replace the old one and it's easy to see the potentially high cost in updating the ever-changing mall maps.

So, what can be done to keep the mall patrons informed of new stores and store closings while keeping costs down? Simply go digital! By replacing these traditional back-lit maps with screens and designing a digital version, patrons would be able to get clear directions to the shops they are looking for, and the content could easily be updated using a web-based software. No need for printing or labor intensive replacements. Just edit the design and press 'submit!

Not only are digital maps easier to update, but patrons could interact with a digital screen. Let's say I'm looking for Foot Locker. Using my finger, I press Foot Locker on the screen. It shows me how to reach my destination, but also informs me of other shoe stores in the mall and tells me which shoe stores are having sales. Let's see that old kiosk directory do that!

Lastly, digital signage just looks better and brings life into the mall. Using animated or interactive graphics is a lot "cooler" than a boring static images. It's like a fresh coat of paint in your living room. Just ask any company that's replaced static posters with digital signage. They will tell you that more people are attracted to the screen than the poster.

No comments:

Hyper Smash