Thursday, July 21, 2011

Next Top AE Model

American Eagle Outfitters recently launched a Bank-to-School campaign that asks customers to upload photos of themselves wearing their signature AE denim. Customers can upload photos either by visiting the AE website, Facebook fan page, or by downloading the smart-phone app. Each photo is classified into one of four categories, and the winners are selected by customer vote each week. Ten grand prize winners will receive a nice sum of cash plus a spot in a future AE photo shoot. Two hundred people will receive a little cash, but their photo will be featured on the 25-story LED screen outside its flagship store in Times Square. Read more .

Putting your customers' face on the brand-- Amazing strategy! What could engage their main demographic more than that? The AE brand targets 15 to 25 year old boys and girls. I can already see high school students, in the store with their friends, modeling in front of mirrors and uploading pictures from their cell phones. The coolest aspect of this campaign is that the winning pictures will be displayed on the BIG screen in Times Square. Not only is AE engaging their customers, but using the pictures as part of the ad campaign. I'm sure they're saving tons of money by not hiring actual models. It's a win-win.

I am curious as to why they chose to limit the amount of photos shown on the Times Square screen. I say more screens, more photos! AE should add screens in their retail locations that customers could interact with as well. Customers could be in the store uploading photos and see themselves in a matter of minutes. The photos could also be used for ads running on the screen during the campaign, as well as future campaigns.

Although there are a couple of things I would add to this campaign, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm highly impressed with the strategy AE built and I predict great results from the promotion. If anyone from American Eagle Outfitters reads this article, please let me know how the campaign plays out! Anyone else have thoughts?

2 comments:

@AdamBritten said...

I'm currently an intern at American Eagle in the social media marketing department. I enjoyed your perspective of our BestShot contest. Thanks for writing this!

Matt Deaton said...

Not a problem. It would be great to hear how well the contest goes over. I wish you the best of luck!

Hyper Smash